My Brother: The older bully

Today I decided to write something dedicated to my brother. Appropriately since its his 27th birthday. 

What can I say about the boy whom I grew up with? Oh yes, he was a total punk. From stealing my saved up money as a child, to never letting me play with our sega genesis we got one christmas. This boy, and I have been something like oil and water. He was definitely the trouble maker and the one who would give my mom all those gray hairs. I think growing up, there was more attention towards my brother because he was constantly in trouble. My mom never had to worry about me, I was always on top of my homework and doing projects on my own, and never asking anyone for help. I was the independent younger sister. So as you can tell, much of the focus was towards him. 

As a kid I don't really think I got much attention anyway. My parents separated when I was 5, and I think thats something that affected my brother. I believe not having our dad around to guide him, affected him. Therefore he ended up doing lots of bad things. He did drugs, tagged, got in trouble with the law and other stuff. Now at the age of 27, he has changed a lot. He no longer punks me around (which is a good thing) and has left all those filthy habits, and bad influences behind. It has taken him a while to grow up, but he is finally doing it. I am proud how far he is coming along. He is now holding a steady job and living with his girlfriend. He has no kids of his own yet. 

This is the special part of the blog....for him. My brother has been in Ann's life since day 1. He came along with me to the hospital when I had her, and was the first one who held her. He fell in love with his niece on that day. Ann is something that changed his life. Ann was his silver lining. It was his wake up call, to mature and leave all his filthy habits and life behind. My brother wasn't really the older role model I could look up to, I had to prove myself on my own. Aside from that we have 3 younger half sisters from my fathers second marriage, so I had to step in the role of becoming a role model for them. I can say now that I am proud of my brother. He is cleaning up nicely, and even though its taken some time for him to change, its a learning process for him. Just like anyone who is given a chance at life to change, they grab it by the balls and do it. Now since Ann was diagnosed with her brain tumor, my brother was devastated beyond belief. I think he has taken it pretty hard. Coping with her hospitalizations, seeing her cry or being hooked up to an IV has left a deep mark on his heart. He considers her like his own child. He worries a lot about her, and even though I am not the greatest sister to him, but he is the greatest uncle for Ann. He asks questions about her diagnose, and treatment, and MRI's and such. I believe this is by far one of his hardest chapters in life as well. But I must give him credit for being my brother. Although he our sibling relationship has never been the greatest (I am saying this again) he is my brother, my blood, my Ann's uncle Jerry. 

So happy birthday brother. Just know that I am proud of you for overcoming so much. For being there for Ann, and making her smile in her darkest of days. I've never really told you how much you mean to me. So thank you for being there when the times get tough with mom...you have helped me out a lot with that. I love you. Happy Birthday from both of us. <3 

The moral of this blog is, that people change when difficult situations arise. 

Comments

  1. You're right, no matter your past relationship with your brother, you are still brother & sister, and that he loves his niece so much to be there for both of you during your struggle is a wonderful thing. Happy birthday to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very nice tribute to your brother and I was very glad to see that you posted how much you care for him - that is so important in this busy, crazy, time we live in - to tell those we love that we care for them and support them in whatever positive steps they are taking in their lives. You and Ann are blessed to have him in your lives, as he is to have you both in his.

    God bless you all and I pray you will always be there for each other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts